I’ve talked about Borussia Monchengladbach a couple of times on the blog so far, and given their ability it makes sense to look at their odds to win the Europa League, especially with Marco Rose in charge.
Who’s Marco Rose? He is one of the reasons they are so good with his style very similar to that of Jurgen Klopp. High-intensity attacking and relentless pressing without the ball. He is only 43 but the job he did at his previous club RB Salzburg was mightily impressive. In his 1st season they won the league and reached the semi-finals of the Europa League, beating the likes of Dortmund and Lazio. In his 2nd season they broke the record of most league wins in a row with 10 before narrowly losing out in the quarter-finals of the Europa League against Napoli. He clearly has a liking of European competition, winning the U19 Europa Youth League with the U18s in 2017. Here is a great link with a detailed insight of Rose’s style of play.
So what odds are they to win the Europa League? 40/1. Is that too big? It sounds big. Let’s investigate. In their last Europa League game BMG were 5/4 to beat Roma at home. That says they are the same ability yet Roma are 20/1 in the outrights – half the price and there’s probably nothing untoward with that. The Italians level is much easier to asses and thus price given their level of consistency over the years – they’ve finished in the top 6 of Serie A in 13 of the last 14 seasons.
So let’s have a look at the rest of the contenders:
· Man Utd are favourites at 6/1 – LOL!
· Arsenal are joint favourites – double LOL!
· Sevilla come next at 9/1 – Started the season off fine sitting in 3rd in La Liga but I’m very anti-Lopetegui. We know about his shocking Madrid stint and he was also sacked at Porto in a two team league.
· Wolves are 4th favourites at 20/1! Just goes to show how weak the competition is when you have Wolves as 4th faves.
· Then after Roma come Espanyol at 33/1 and they sit 2nd bottom in La Liga. 6th favourites? Seriously? 19th in La Liga. SERIOUSLY?
Throw into the fact the likes of Lazio and Porto are in danger of dropping out and this 40/1 Gladbach is phenomenal. This is shocking odds compilation from the copy and paste industry. They started the season at 25s and then one blip in 4-0 defeat to Wolfsberger and everyone overreacted pushing them out yet that was in September and no one has readjusted. Die Fohlen sind im Haus.